Wednesday, September 8, 2010

New Take on Nutsedge

It's been way too long since I posted. There have been some big changes in my life lately, one of which is that I am the new manager of Nutsedge Farm. So in honor of this development I thought I would update on the recent happenings.
The okra is growing like crazy - They are about 7 feet tall. I am so grateful because a lovely lady Sarah has agreed to do all the picking in exchange for half the crop. What a deal!
The tomatoes were a bunk crop but the peppers are going gang-busters. It's really about time to start pulling everything up and getting ready for fall planting. It's my intention to start come kale and collard seeds this weekend. I am ordering some garlic tomorrow and I;m excited for that cause the garlic did well last year. Question is just how much do I plant. I'm want to do a bunch of root crops but the weeds are so bad out there I am not sure I can keep up with them at Nutsedge. I guess planting them at the house might be an option, but still uncertain.
I am going to chat with Jenks and Tom about the farm this weekend. It really needs a large overhaul since large parts of it are overgrown from neglect (long story).
One crop that did do well for me was the flower Celosia - and how beautiful they are. I have given some thru the CSA and then plan to take some to the Farmer's Market this weekend. I'm glad I wrote that cause it helped me remember that I wanted to look at some other flower option for the fall while I am home this evening.
You might notice in the last pic the box of assorted produce. There are a small bunch of peas in the top right corner. These White Acres were grown as a cover crop but I decided to being some home and shell them - another first gardening experience for me. They were delicious.
I'll try and get a better picture of them when I am out there cutting on Friday.
Enjoy the show!

2 comments:

  1. Any theories on why EVERYONE in Augusta grew a ton of peppers and zero tomatoes this summer? Certainly not a lack of sunshine or heat! I was wondering if a particular bug that usually pollinates the 'maters was in poor abundence this year from the wet spring we had maybe washing away their larve? I've hear this same report from 5 or 6 folks around here now, and am so curious why it was such a bunk summer for tomatoes!
    I cant wait to get some garlic and carrots (and onions if you have them, I cant remember what you'd said?) to plant from yall! Happy almost autumnal equinox! -Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS- Roy's dad's tomatoes (granted, much more professionally grown that our operation here) did great down in Milledgeville

    ReplyDelete