Friday, July 30, 2010

The South's Summer Treat

I'm finding that if you live in the South you love home-grown summer tomatoes. There really isn't a question about this. While not all people will eat them like apples standing over the sink, people in general take their tomatoes very seriously. I have had the fortunate opportunity the become friend with Reed who manages Brier Creek Farm and his lovely lady, Stacy, who handles sales of their gorgeous heirloom tomatoes.
I had heard thru the grapevine about the 1500 tomatoes plants in Burke County, and then lo-and-behold, come to find out that Stacy is the relative of a dear friend of mine. (I'm finding Augusta works like this far too often:-)
The first time I went over to pick up tomatoes, I walked into a house full of tomatoes - and this is not an exaggeration. The first picture below shows 1 room, only ONE, of the 4 that they have filled with boxes of tomatoes. For the last month or so I've been over every week picking up 100-130 lbs of tomatoes. I sell them thru my CSA and then at the Augusta Saturday Market. all my customers have been very pleased with their taste. Enjoy the pictures below and stop in to pick up some of your own.
Thanks Reed and Stacy, keep up the great growing!









2 comments:

  1. I think it must be the heat. Fresh, juicy, sweet tomatoes taste much better when it's 110 degrees outside. Those look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say Thanks to Katie for all the hard work she has done on the farm and Selling those delish tomatoes at Surrey!!!

    ReplyDelete