Friday, June 25, 2010

The first veggies from our garden

The other evening I harvested all the potatoes that were growing in our back yard. They look beautiful. I wish we would have had as much success at Nutsedge Farm as we did with the ones at the house, but it all comes down to soil. I grew two types at the house - Purple Peruvian and Peanut. I got a good 8-10 lbs. I'm going to use some of them to make a potato salad for the open house at the farm tomorrow. Some of the others I am going to throw in the crock pot with chicken and green beans.



Here's a picture of the Yellow Wax Beans that at the house. They grew abundantly. I wish I had staggered the planting by a week or so to prevent them from all coming in at the same time. Regardless, they taste good, and it is motivating me to try my hand at pickling/canning. I am, however, having a hard time getting my hand on some dill (I'm guessing I'm not the only one feeling the pickling mood these days). I kick myself for not having any growing.



We are growing some tomatoes. They are coming along okay. I have really slacked on staking them and there is clearly a calcium deficiency in our soil. We have harvested a few and they taste good. Last night I made a gazpacho with a mix of our tomatoes and others from East Georgia Produce, along with cucumbers and onions from Walker Farms, and shallots from Nutsedge. It was my first gazpacho and, altho the look on Brian's face was less than delighted when he learned this was our dinner, he cleaned his bowl!!



I have really struggled with my Tomatillos this season. I was stoked when my friend at Grove Creek Farm said she had Purple Tomatoillos - how cool. I had the grandest visions of growing a beautiful crop and selling them all to my most favorite taqueria , the Roosters Beak. No such luck. The crop has been decimated by squash bugs. I didn't spray, I probably should have, but instead I took the attitude that if they just stay on the Tomatillos then my other crops won't suffer from their devastation. Here is a picture of the baby squash bugs. I think they are so cute - and they make this 'pop' when you squish them:-)

2 comments:

  1. Is that a squash bug? I have a GREAT macro of this little creature...I figured it was an aphid of some type. It's on my website...amazing detail of it's eyes, pollen and thorns on his back! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your fingerlings did a lot better than ours!! Not surprising, since yall know what youre doing and we were growing by the neglect method! I just dug holes and put them in the ground, no fertillizer or anything, then left town for 6 weeks, came back surprised to find most of the potato plants grown taller than the abundant surrounding weeds, and harvested them!
    It took forever for the plants to break soil back in Feb/March, and I think next year I will plant more shallowly so we can harvest before the end of June and actually have a summer garden too!
    From the 5 lbs of seed potato, we ended up with maybe 10-12 lbs of product, or 2-5 smallish (1" or less diameter) potatoes per plant.. For a couple of weeks there, I was digging some up daily and cooking them for dinner that night, I got really excited about that lol!
    I guess I didnt let em dry enough between digging and storing them because they all got mouldy and rotted :( Oh well, lesson learned for next year! How/where do you cure/store yours? I had ours stuck in the back of a cabinet in plastic grocery bags..
    Not withstanding our abysmal lack of succes, I really enjoyed growing potatoes, its like a treasure hunt to harvest them! Plus it makes me feel true to my Irish roots.. no pun intended!

    ReplyDelete